Monday, September 19, 2011

First Day

Ok so today was a GREAT success in my opinion. I have managed, with quite a bit of encouragement on my part, to get Paige, my student, to play notes on the flute. Not only has she played notes on the flute I have also almost been able to completely teach her the B flat scale on the flute. How I did it was first bringing out the fingering chart that was complete with how the note looked on a score and show her what it looked like on music. Then I showed her where she had to put her fingers on the flute in order for her to be actually able to play the flute. This took not a lot of time at all due to the numerous times she had stolen my flute from me to "play" my flute. Then we perfected how she blew into the flute to make a clear sound. Then I had her slowly go threw the fingerings in the order of the B flat scale. As the class period went on she began to get used to the flute and how to play the notes. She still is having some difficulty with the notes that have the same fingering for the higher and lower register. She can play both notes it is just that she has troubles not having it drop to the lower register or having it not have the higher note over tone when she is playing. Eventually she got the scale down, this with the promise for every scale she memorized I would get her a mini bag of m&m's. After she played the scale perfectly with out the fingering chart she demanded the candy. I told her that if she still had it memorized the next time we have class in which I will test her on if she really memorized it that I would give her the candy. She agreed and that is where we ended for the due to the fact that the class period ended.

3 comments:

  1. Courtney this is so cool. Through teaching, one can truly LEARN.
    Where did the candy idea come from? Does Mr. Matthys give out candy when you guys play something right? Man, he is getting tender-hearted in his old age!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually no it didn't it came from my experience with little kids that I babysit. I find that if people have goals that they want to strive for such as playing a certain song, like Paige wants to do, and they are just learning it is really hard for them to keep with it. So little goals like for each scale a candy it is easier. Just like if you want the kid your babysitting to eat all of their veggies or sit down and do their homework something like candy REALLY helps.

    ReplyDelete